Each prototype mission must have at least one defined path — this is the benchmark for measuring the success of your test. A mission is considered complete once a tester reaches the end screen of a path.
You can add as many paths as needed. All paths you set will be considered successful ways to complete the mission.
In this article:
- Before you start
- How success is measured
- Change the start screen
- Create a path
- Add multiple expected paths
- Remove screens from a path
- Workaround: Create a free-roam prototype test
Before you start
- You must set a minimum of two screens for each path.
- A path consists of a sequence of screens. This means that the hotspots used from one screen to the other are not taken into consideration — that is, the path is defined by the progression from Screen A to Screen B, not by the hotspots used to get there.
- To create a path, you need to navigate through the prototype or website. Please note that, on prototype tests, non-click triggers are not formally supported.
- The last screen of a path can't be reused on that same path. Why can't I reuse the last screen in a path?
- It's not possible to make changes to paths after sending the maze live. What changes can I make when editing a live maze?
How success is measured
Maze records every path a tester takes:
- If the screens users go through to complete a mission match the path(s) you set, Maze records this as a direct success.
- If users go through an unexpected sequence of screens but still reach the last screen of the mission, Maze records this as an indirect success.
- If users abandon the mission or end it on the wrong screen, it's recorded as a mission unfinished.
Change the start screen of your prototype
The start screen is the first screen that your testers will see at the beginning of the mission. You can change the start screen of a path before you start selecting the screens.
To change the start screen:
- Open a prototype test block on a draft maze.
- Before defining the first path, click or change the start screen.
- This will display all screens in your prototype. Click a screen to select it as the start screen.
Create a path
The expected path is the flow of screens you want a tester to go through in order to complete a mission (i.e. your prototype or website test).
When setting up a prototype test, you must set at least one path with at least two screens — this is the benchmark for measuring the success of your test.
Otherwise, you will see the following error:
A path should have at least two screens. Please add more screens to this path.
To add a path:
- In your draft maze, add a prototype block.
- Click through the prototype hotspots to add screens to the path.
Unlike prototype tests, you don't have to pre-define paths when setting up a website test.
If no success path is defined, it's not possible for Maze to establish whether each tester path was successful or not. As a result, tester paths will appear in the results as Uncategorized. Why are some paths marked as "Uncategorized"?
To set up a path on your website test:
- In your draft maze, add a website block.
- To start creating your paths, click Create path. A floating window will open with a preview of your website. Avoid opening the task window in a new tab and/or in full screen, as it may exceed the maximum window dimension and trigger a "Window size too large" error. Learn more about device resolution in website tests
- Click through the website to define the path you expect the testers to take in order to complete the task. At the moment, each page change or parameter change counts as a screen in the path. Learn more about paths
- To add more paths, click + Add new path.
- Once you’re done, click Save and close to save the paths and go back to the draft maze.
Add multiple expected paths
If your mission has more than one valid way to be completed, you can add as many expected paths as you need. All paths you set will be considered successful ways to complete the mission in your maze results.
To add more paths after defining your first path:
- Click Add path to add more expected paths.
- Navigate through the website or prototype hotspots to add screens to the path.
- Repeat these steps for each additional path you want to define.
Remove screens from a path
To remove a screen from a path, hover and click the screen you want to remove.
Deleting a screen from a path will remove any subsequent screens as well.
Workaround: Create a free-roam test
There is a workaround using some adaptations in your prototype.
However, please note that this requires making some changes in your design file, and will affect the way success is measured.
- Why can't I reuse the last screen in a path?
- Why am I getting an "Invalid path" error when I try to launch my maze live?
Still need help?
If you have any questions or concerns, please let our Support team know — we'll be happy to help!