Maze is a continuous product discovery platform used by product teams to collect and consume user insights across the entire product development cycle. With solutions for product research, participant recruitment, and reporting, Maze enables everyone to run great research, make better product decisions, and scale insights company-wide. For more information, visit maze.co and follow @mazedesignhq on Twitter.
Not sure where to start? Follow this step-by-step guide:
- Create an account
- Build your first maze
- Send your maze live and share it with testers
- Analyze results & share a report with your stakeholders
- Do more with Maze
- Additional resources
Step 1: Create an account
Sign up to create a free Maze team.
When you sign up, you'll receive a verification email. Click on the verification link in your email to verify your account. This step is required to activate your Maze account.
Learn more about the features included in each plan here: maze.co/pricing
Step 2: Build your first maze
To start testing, you need to create a maze.
A maze is a succession of tasks and/or questions for testers to complete. For more details on how to create your first maze, please see this article.
To add tasks, questions, and any other extra screens to your mazes, you will use blocks. For instance, you will add a block to test a prototype, or to run a card sorting exercise.
Learn more about all block types you can use
- Repository with ready-made questions
- Best practices for testing on mobile devices
- Figma optimization tips
- Available settings (e.g. set a password, edit the scale of your prototype, and more)
- Branding options for paid plans
Step 3: Preview
Previewing is a great way to ensure your maze flows nicely, and that your users see what you want them to see.
Testing your maze beforehand will help ensure you and your team are completely happy with the content and performance. Please note that certain changes aren't allowed after sending a maze live.
To preview your maze:
- Open a draft maze, or create a new maze.
- Click on the Preview button in the top right corner.
This will allow you to see how your testers will experience your maze without recording any data.
Step 4: Send your maze live and share it with testers
When you're happy with your maze, click the Start Testing button located in the top right corner of the screen, and then click Go live to confirm. This will send your maze live and generate a unique link that you can share with your testers.
Before publishing your maze, make sure to test it thoroughly until you are completely satisfied with the content and performance. Keep in mind that, while you'll be able to make some changes to the maze after publishing, many changes may be restricted in order to avoid misleading results due to the modified variables.
Once your maze is live, you can start testing it with people. There are different approaches to get your maze tested:
- Copy your link: Share a link to your maze via your own channels. Learn more
- Send Reach campaign: Email your participant database. Learn more
- In-product prompt: Add a popover to your website linking to the maze. Learn more
- Hire from our Panel: Recruit testers from our panel. Learn more
Step 5: Analyze results & share the report with your stakeholders
When testers begin testing your maze, you will start seeing the results in your dashboard in real time. You can access your results on the live maze page.
Learn more about the Results dashboard
In addition to your results, Maze automatically creates a report for you to review and share with your colleagues, executives, and stakeholders. A report is created for every maze tested with at least one participant.
Do more with Maze
You can also use Maze to:
- Hire testers from our panel
- Capture audio, video, and screen recordings of your user tests
- Manage and send tests to your own contacts database
- Disco Conf 2023: A journey into discovery, design, and research by Maze
- Community events
- Maze 101 guide
- Question bank