Streamline the process of analyzing open-ended responses in an AI Follow-up block and gain insights within minutes. Harness the speed of AI while remaining in control to review and refine the output efficiently, ensuring that only valuable insights are shared with your stakeholders in the report.
Save hours of sifting through the results and reading each individual response. The AI-powered tool does the heavy lifting of analyzing all responses and categorizing them into broader themes, all in a matter of minutes.
In this article:
- Find themes automatically
- Create manual themes
- Theme details
- Assign responses to a theme
- Filter by theme or by sentiment
- Edit or delete themes
- Results & reporting
Who can use this feature
- AI Themes are available on the Team and Organization plans.
- Team members can create, assign, and edit themes. Project collaborators can only view existing themes. Learn more about roles and permissions
Find themes automatically
The AI-powered analysis tool effortlessly clusters participant responses by themes, identifies patterns, and summarizes insights in a matter of minutes.
Here’s how you do it:
- Once you start receiving responses, open the results dashboard for your AI Follow-up block. Please note that themes are not yet available for other block types.
- Click Find themes.
- Give the AI tool a moment to analyze the responses. Depending on the number of responses, this may take a few minutes.
- Go to your results page to see the newly generated AI themes.
Create manual themes
To add a theme manually:
- Open the results dashboard for your AI Follow-up block. Please note that themes are not yet available for other block types.
- Click Create theme.
- Add a name for the theme and a label color.
- Click Create.
The newly created theme will appear on your results page.
Click each theme to open the theme details page.
The theme details page includes three sections:
AI generated themes include an automated summary is where you can document patterns and insights from each theme, and will appear in the report. You can adjust this summary as needed using the Edit button.
Manual themes don't include an AI summary, but you can manually include one by clicking + Add summary.
In this section, you can measure the feelings (positive, negative, or neutral) associated with that specific theme.
In this section, you’ll see all responses associated with that theme.
Assign responses to a theme
You can assign one or more themes to a response.
- Open the results dashboard for your AI Follow-up block.
- Scroll down to the Responses section.
- Under each individual response, click the Manage themes () button.
- Select one or more themes from the drop-down. If you don't see any themes yet, first follow the steps to create a theme
Filter by theme or by sentiment
Use the drop-downs in the Responses section to filter responses by theme and/or sentiment to narrow down your results.
Using the theme filter updates the sentiment analysis, allowing you to correlate themes with sentiment.
Edit or delete themes
To edit a theme:
- Click the ••• (more) menu.
- Select Edit from the drop-down.
- Add a new name and/or label color.
- To confirm, click Save.
To permanently delete a theme:
- Click the ••• (more) menu.
- Select Delete from the drop-down.
- To confirm, click the Delete button.
Deleting a theme does not delete the responses associated with it.
Results & reporting
Why do I see a “Not enough responses” screen?
While looking for themes on your responses, you might encounter the following screen.
"Not enough responses”
This warning appears if your maze hasn’t yet received enough responses for the AI tool to identify response patterns.
To solve this issue, collect more responses to your mazes before running the analysis again.
Why do I see a “Couldn’t analyze responses” error?
While looking for themes on your responses, you may exceptionally run into an error that prevents responses from being analyzed and/or themes to be generated.
In such cases, you’ll see the following error message:
Couldn’t analyze responses There was an error in analyzing your responses – try again in a few minutes.
This may happen for a few different reasons:
- There’s been an error on Maze’s side
- OpenAI, which powers Maze’s AI features, is down or unavailable
If you come across this error, we recommend waiting a few minutes before trying to generate themes again.
If the issue persists, please reach out to our Support team so they can investigate.