Get better quality insights fast. The Screener block allows you to qualify or screen out testers directly within your maze, removing the need to filter and clean your results data.
Who can use this feature
Screeners are an exclusive Organization plan feature.
- It’s not possible to use conditions between screener questions.
- Please be aware of some considerations when setting up panel orders with screening.
Adding a screener
To add screening at the start of your mazes:
- Open the maze builder and click Add block.
- Select Screener.
- Enter up to 5 multiple-choice questions. Learn more about setting up your screener logic in the section below
- If needed, customize the Rejection screen. Here, you can add a short sign-off message and add a custom redirect link for screened-out participants. Learn more about redirect links
Setting up your participant screening logic
To establish your screening criteria, you'll enter up to 5 multiple-choice questions. Each can be single-select or multi-select.
In single-select questions, each answer option can either qualify or reject the participant. In multi-select questions, you can also consider certain answer choices as not important.
- Qualify: These options allow participants to proceed with the test.
- Not important: In a multi-select question, these options will only allow participants to proceed if selected alongside a qualifying choice. If a participant selects one of these options without a qualifying answer as well, they'll be disqualified from the test.
- Reject: This option should only be used to actively screen out a participant based on that answer. Selecting this option will automatically disqualify the participant, regardless of other selections they may have made.
To mitigate potential bias, participants can't go back and change their answers.
We always recommend previewing your screeners (and mazes in general) to make sure that questions are clear and easy to understand.
The following video guides you through an example of setting up qualifying criteria in your screener:
Setting up panel orders with screening
When placing a hired tester order with the Screener block, you’ll only be charged for qualified testers.
A panel response with screening questions costs 3 credits per qualified tester. This allows us to compensate testers for the time spent on screening questions, even if they don’t qualify. To revert to the standard rate of 1 credit per response, you may go back to the maze builder and hide the screener block.
When hiring testers for a maze with a Screener block, we'll sample a minimum of 85 panel participants to determine the incidence rate for your study. The incidence rate reflects the proportion of participants that meet your screening criteria, calculated as a percentage of qualified testers out of all potential participants.
If we find that less than 10% of your participants would qualify based on your criteria, the panel order may be canceled and refunded, signaling potential issues with the questions or logic.
To improve the speed and relevance of your responses and minimize the chance of the order being canceled, we recommend applying filters to your panel order to target participants who match your criteria.
The following video demonstrates best practices for using screeners with panel orders:
Save as template
To continue screening participants using the same criteria, you can reuse screener blocks across mazes by saving as a template.
To save a screener as a template:
- Create a maze containing your screener.
- Go back to the projects page.
- Click ••• and select Save as template in the dropdown.
- Enter the name of the template and click Save.
To reuse the screener:
- When creating a new maze, click All templates under ‘Custom templates’.
- Select the relevant template.
Screener logic is applied when interacting with the screener in Preview mode while building a draft maze.
Selecting at least one rejecting choice leads to the rejection screen. To view the next blocks in the maze, simply click on the block list located on the left side of the preview screen.
At the moment, screener responses don't appear in the Results dashboard. You'll only see responses from qualified participants.
However, you can see screener results for individual responses on the Testers tab.