Maze Clips are the easiest way to capture audio, video, and screen recordings of asynchronous user tests, without having to schedule and run live moderated research sessions.
This article walks you through what testers will see when interacting with a maze where Clips recordings are enabled:
- Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
- Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
- Mute & Pause recording during testing
- Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
If Clips are enabled in one or more mission blocks, users will see a recording permission prompt when they click on Get started at the beginning of the test. Alternatively, they can select Start without recording to run through the maze without recording any session data.
This prompt will vary slightly, depending on the browser and device being used. For more about permissions when testing on mobile, check out the section below: Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
As a first step, they will be prompted to confirm their microphone and camera settings.
In the next step, they will be prompted to select one of three screen-sharing options: Entire screen, Window, and Tab.
Lastly, they will see a modal confirming the recording settings for the maze. Clicking Start test will redirect to the first block in the maze.
Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
Screen recording is not currently supported on mobile devices.
Maze detects when your testers are using a mobile device, and disables screen recording for those testers. Your mobile testers will be prompted to allow/deny audio and camera recording. Screen sharing will automatically appear as disabled.
Learn more: Why do I see a "Tester screen is being simulated" warning next to my Clips recordings?
Mute & Pause recording during testing
Your testers' privacy is paramount. For this reason, at any point during the recording of a task, they have the option to:
- Mute the audio: To mute the audio, they should click the microphone icon () on the bottom right corner of the screen. When the audio is muted, a muted icon will be displayed () — clicking this button again will unmute the audio.
- Pause the recording: It's possible to pause the task and recording altogether. To do so, testers should hover over their camera image and click the pause button (). To go back to the task, they should click the Resume task button.
Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
After the test is successfully completed, the session recording might take a few minutes to upload. Once the upload is complete, the testers may close the test window/tab.