Maze Clips allow you to capture audio, video, and screen recordings of asynchronous user tests, without having to schedule and run live moderated research sessions.
This article walks you through what testers will see when interacting with a maze with Clips recordings enabled:
- Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
- Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
- Mute & Pause recording during testing
- Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
If you've enabled Clips in your maze, testers will see a note outlining the permissions required in the maze, and whether they're optional or required for continuing the test.
Once testers click on Get started at the beginning of the test, they'll be asked to confirm their microphone and camera settings.
This prompt will vary slightly, depending on the browser and device being used. For more about permissions when testing on mobile, check out the section below: Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
In the next step, Maze will prompt participants to allow screen sharing and select a screen-sharing option.
Finally, a modal will appear, confirming the recording settings for the maze. Clicking Start test will direct them to the first block in the maze.
Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
Screen recording isn't supported when testing on a mobile device.
Maze detects when your testers are using a mobile device, and disables screen recording for those testers.
Mobile testers are prompted to allow microphone and/or camera recordings. Screen sharing won't be listed for these participants, even if you've enabled it in the Clips settings.
Mute & Pause recording during testing
Your testers' privacy is paramount. For this reason, at any point during the recording of a task, they have the option to:
- Mute the audio: To mute the audio, they should click the microphone icon () on the bottom right corner of the screen. If the tester has muted the audio, a muted icon will appear () — clicking this button again will unmute the audio.
- Pause the recording: It's possible to pause the task and recording altogether. To do so, testers should hover over their camera image and click the pause button (). To go back to the task, they should click the Resume task button.
Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
At the end of the test, the session recording might take a few minutes to upload. Once the upload is complete, the testers may close the test window/tab.
Closing the tab before the upload is complete may result in clips not being available for that participant.