Maze Clips are the easiest way to capture audio, video, and screen recordings of asynchronous user tests, without having to schedule and run live moderated research sessions.
This article walks you through what testers will see when interacting with a maze with Clips recordings enabled:
- Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
- Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
- Mute & Pause recording during testing
- Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
Enabling audio, camera, and screen permissions
Once testers click on Get started at the beginning of the test, they'll be asked to confirm their microphone and camera settings.
Alternatively, selecting Start without recording allows them to run through the maze without capturing their audio, video, and screen.
This prompt will vary slightly, depending on the browser and device being used. For more about permissions when testing on mobile, check out the section below: Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
In the next step, Maze will prompt them to allow screen sharing and select a screen-sharing option. In Chrome, this includes: This tab, Other tab, Window, and Entire screen.
Last, a modal will appear, confirming the recording settings for the maze. Clicking Start test will direct them to the first block in the maze.
Interacting with Clips on mobile devices
Screen recording is not currently supported on mobile devices.
Maze detects when your testers are using a mobile device, and disables screen recording for those testers. Your mobile testers will be prompted to allow/deny audio and camera recording. Screen sharing will automatically appear as disabled.
Mute & Pause recording during testing
Your testers' privacy is paramount. For this reason, at any point during the recording of a task, they have the option to:
- Mute the audio: To mute the audio, they should click the microphone icon () on the bottom right corner of the screen. If the tester has muted the audio, a muted icon will appear () — clicking this button again will unmute the audio.
- Pause the recording: It's possible to pause the task and recording altogether. To do so, testers should hover over their camera image and click the pause button (). To go back to the task, they should click the Resume task button.
Uploading recordings at the end of the maze
At the end of the test, the session recording might take a few minutes to upload. Once the upload is complete, the testers may close the test window/tab.